Maintain or increase overall enrollment of low-income individuals in the Affordable Care Act and Medicaid.
Build capacity of nonprofits providing in-person enrollment assistance efforts, especially those targeting vulnerable and underserved populations.
Timeframe for Applications
Call-by date: March 11, 2020
Application deadline: April 2, 2020
Several studies by the National Institute of Medicine conclude that a lack of insurance is hazardous to individual and community health. The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, signed into law in 2010, has led to historic gains in health insurance coverage.
A robust enrollment effort in North Carolina helped reduce the uninsured rate from about 21 percent in 2010 to a little more than 10 percent in 2017. Still, there is more work to be done to expand access to health services for the nearly one million North Carolinians who remain uninsured.
Our goal is to increase enrollment rates in underserved areas or among vulnerable populations to improve access and promote the sustainability of critical health services. The Trust will support outreach and enrollment efforts that target communities with large numbers of eligible but unenrolled residents or counties with low enrollment penetration rates.
Related Funding Opportunities
The Trust is also interested in efforts to educate the public about the opportunity to close the Medicaid coverage gap. View the current Medicaid expansion funding opportunity.
Before applying, consider the following questions and requirements:
- Is your organization or work a good fit with the Trust?
- Are you located or operating in North Carolina?
- Does your work focus on improving quality of life and health for North Carolinians with low incomes?
- Do you primarily support populations experiencing poverty?
- These populations include: individuals living at or below 200 percent of the federal poverty level; the uninsured; and those eligible for Medicaid and/or the free/reduced school lunch program.
- Are your clients (or focus population) residents of North Carolina? If yes, then you may fit our geographic criteria.
Organizations the Trust WILL fund:
- Nonprofit 501(c)(3) organizations
- Governmental entities
Organizations the Trust WILL NOT fund:
- Faith-based organizations without 501(c)(3)
- Type III supporting organizations
- Organizations providing pass-through funds to an ineligible organization
Eligible? Contact us to schedule a consultation.