Increase healthy eating in low-income communities.
Support systems change approaches that increase equity through the creation of new food markets and vendors in underserved areas and promote greater control over the food system by historically marginalized groups.
Timeframe for Applications
Call-by date: September 23, 2019
Application deadline: October 10, 2019
Beaufort and McDowell counties
Organizations in Beaufort and McDowell counties are working to create more equitable food systems that provide greater opportunities for historically marginalized populations and healthier eating options in schools, daycare centers, and hospitals. These groups, along with Rural Forward North Carolina, have mapped out paths to improve healthy food access.
To help the community implement their plans, the Trust is interested in supporting system change strategies for increasing access to healthy food and building a more equitable food system. This could include communications or advocacy strategies, community engagement, policy reform, coordinating across organizations and related approaches. Competitive applications will directly engage the communities that disproportionately suffer from a lack of healthy food options.
Before applying, consider the following questions and requirements:
- Is your organization or work a good fit with the Trust?
- Are you located or operating in North Carolina?
- Does your work focus on improving quality of life and health for North Carolinians with low incomes?
- Do you primarily support populations experiencing poverty?
- These populations include: individuals living at or below 200 percent of the federal poverty level; the uninsured; and those eligible for Medicaid and/or the free/reduced school lunch program.
- Are your clients (or focus population) residents of North Carolina? If yes, then you may fit our geographic criteria.
Organizations the Trust WILL fund:
- Nonprofit 501(c)(3) organizations
- Governmental entities
Organizations the Trust WILL NOT fund:
- Faith-based organizations without 501(c)(3)
- Type III supporting organizations
- Organizations providing pass-through funds to an ineligible organization
Eligible? Contact us to schedule a consultation.