Increase healthy eating in low-income communities.
Support community-based research efforts that engage residents in the process to identify gaps and opportunities and produce a community plan to build an equitable food system.
Timeframe for Applications
The Trust is not currently accepting applications for this funding opportunity.
Nash, Edgecombe, Halifax and surrounding counties
Organizations in Nash, Edgecombe, Halifax and surrounding counties are working to create more equitable food systems that provide greater opportunities for historically marginalized populations and healthier eating options in schools, daycare centers, and hospitals. These groups express an interest in understanding the problem, collecting relevant qualitative and quantitative data, and recommending approaches for building a better food system.
To help the community achieve these aims, the Trust is interested in proposals that map and analyze the food system in Nash, Edgecombe, Halifax and surrounding counties through an equity lens. Mapping may include examining information on networks, food value-chains, policies, land ownership and use, food desserts, food insecurity, or related issues. Local coalitions, such as the Just Foods Collaborative of Edgecombe and Nash counties and the Roanoke Valley Community Health Initiative, should be centrally involved in the work. Competitive applications will directly engage the communities that disproportionately suffer from a lack of healthy food options.
Before applying, consider the following questions and requirements:
- Is your organization or work a good fit with the Trust?
- Are you located or operating in North Carolina?
- Does your work focus on improving quality of life and health for North Carolinians with low incomes?
- Do you primarily support populations experiencing poverty?
- These populations include: individuals living at or below 200 percent of the federal poverty level; the uninsured; and those eligible for Medicaid and/or the free/reduced school lunch program.
- Are your clients (or focus population) residents of North Carolina? If yes, then you may fit our geographic criteria.
Organizations the Trust WILL fund:
- Nonprofit 501(c)(3) organizations
- Governmental entities
Organizations the Trust WILL NOT fund:
- Faith-based organizations without 501(c)(3)
- Type III supporting organizations
- Organizations providing pass-through funds to an ineligible organization