Reduce rates of substance misuse and overdose deaths among the Medicaid and uninsured populations.
Support evidence-informed and evidence-based approaches to prevent substance misuse among vulnerable populations.
Timeframe for Applications
Call-by date: April 4, 2019
Application deadline: April 18, 2019
Applications received by March 12 will be considered in April. Applications received by April 18 will be considered in June. An advance call is required at all times.
In recent years, stakeholders in North Carolina have spent considerable time and energy crafting recommendations to confront the complex issues of behavioral health and substance misuse at the state level. A lack of treatment capacity, high uninsured rates in some sections of the population, and rising opioid overdose deaths prompted the creation of these plans.
Like many parts of the state, rural Healthy Places North Carolina communities are struggling to reduce rates of addiction to harmful substances and to decrease or eliminate overdose deaths.
Coalitions and organizations in Rockingham County are working to reduce substance misuse rates. This opportunity will help implement or supplement evidence-based programs that have the greatest potential for impact. The Trust will consider the reach of applicant organizations, connections to financially vulnerable residents, and plans for seeking sustained funding.
Strategies targeting individual behavior change must reach enough people and have an ongoing source of funding to make a difference. The Trust also will help underserved counties measure progress toward achieving common substance misuse goals.
Our mission is to serve financially vulnerable residents and to close racial disparities in health care, so we are particularly interested in how communities are addressing the needs of Medicaid and uninsured patients.
Future Funding Opportunities
The Trust envisions opening future opportunities to reduce substance misuse in Rockingham County that may include systems change approaches and innovative ideas to tackle the issue.
We can best partner with communities in implementing system changes that alter the underlying conditions that drive growing substance misuse rates. Please check this section for future funding opportunities in Healthy Places NC counties.
Before applying, consider the following questions and requirements:
- Is your organization or work a good fit with the Trust?
- Are you located or operating in North Carolina?
- Does your work focus on improving quality of life and health for North Carolinians with low incomes?
- Do you primarily support populations experiencing poverty?
- These populations include: individuals living at or below 200 percent of the federal poverty level; the uninsured; and those eligible for Medicaid and/or the free/reduced school lunch program.
- Are your clients (or focus population) residents of North Carolina? If yes, then you may fit our geographic criteria.
Organizations the Trust WILL fund:
- Nonprofit 501(c)(3) organizations
- Governmental entities
Organizations the Trust WILL NOT fund:
- Faith-based organizations without 501(c)(3)
- Type III supporting organizations
- Organizations providing pass-through funds to an ineligible organization
Eligible? Contact us to schedule a consultation.