The Kate B. Reynolds Charitable Trust is the legacy of the late Kate Gertrude Bitting Reynolds, who was married to William Neal Reynolds, chairman of R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company. Before her death in 1946, Mrs. Reynolds established the Trust to continue much of the work she had supported during her lifetime. The Trust’s mission is to improve the quality of life and the quality of health for the financially needy of North Carolina.
Even as the world has changed and evolved, we continue to face many of the same challenges to human potential identified by Mrs. Reynolds in the early 1900s. The opportunities to improve the quality of life and of health for North Carolinians remain abundant. The Kate B. Reynolds Charitable Trust has a unique mandate and perspective:
- Honoring Mrs. Reynolds’ wishes—75% of the Trust’s funding is dedicated to improving health and wellness in North Carolina, and 25% is dedicated to improving the quality of life and supporting basic needs in Forsyth County, North Carolina.
- Making a Difference—the Trust exists to protect and improve the lives of those who need it most—vulnerable populations, the underserved, and the economically disadvantaged. We invest where we believe we can make the greatest difference today and in the future.
Three key commitments shape the Kate B. Reynolds Charitable Trust’s pledge to improve lives in North Carolina. The Trust seeks to be an unprecedented force for progress by living these commitments in all that it does:
- Impact—Making a difference is the most critical commitment we share with our grantees.
- Innovation—The Trust is committed to innovation—defined as the successful implementation of something creative, relevant, and useful — that takes us beyond the current standards of the field.
- Influence and Leverage—There are many pieces to the human potential puzzle. At the Trust, we seek to be both part of the leadership and one of the pieces working for systemic change.