Healthy Places Beaufort County
Working in Beaufort County
One of the state’s oldest counties, Beaufort is home to more than 47,000 people and encompasses 828 square miles. The community is bisected by the Pamlico River, which has historically presented challenges for transportation and countywide collaboration. Although Beaufort struggles economically, the county benefits from its proximity to Greenville and its scenic locations that attract tourists and retirees.
We support the community in their efforts to achieve the following goals:
Local partners are working to increase healthy eating and active living incomes by:
- Expanding healthy food access with a focus on people with low incomes and communities of color.
- Enhancing parks in underserved neighborhoods to further promote active living options.
- Assisting local coalitions to increase equitable access to healthy foods and create opportunities for physical activity.
- Supporting the hiring of a recreation coordinator based in an underserved area to promote active-living efforts.
Local partners are working to reduce rates of substance misuse and overdose deaths by:
- Assisting community coalitions’ efforts to map assets and design strategies.
- Supporting evidence-informed and evidence-based approaches to prevent substance misuse among vulnerable populations.
Obesity Reduction in Beaufort County
Like many parts of the state, rural Healthy Places NC communities are working to address high obesity rates and food insecurity. To assist stakeholders in Beaufort in building a more equitable food system, the Trust will support efforts aimed at implementing local action plans.